I’m not going to tell you that I like drop biscuits better than regular roll and cut biscuits. Drop biscuits are less evenly shaped, making them more difficult to use with things like sausage biscuits or whatever, and they are a teeny bit less flaky. BUT, they are a whole lot easier to make. Like way easier. If that means that I occasionally get biscuits on a Sunday-morning whim, well then…I am game. They are also a great topping for a quick “pot pie” over some chicken stew.
They don’t exactly look gross, do they?
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup very cold buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and then cooled just slightly (plus 2 tablespoons melted for brushing the tops after baking)
- Heat oven to 475 with rack in middle. Spray a 1/4 cup measuring cup with oil and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir 8 T melted butter into cold buttermilk. The liquid will clump up a bit…that is very good. It’s what makes these biscuits fluffy and yummy
- Add wet ingredients into dry and fold together with rubber spatula. Fill measuring cup with batter and tap onto sheet. Space evenly across sheet- you should have 10 – 12.
- Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Brush cooked biscuits with melted butter and serve!!