We just got back from a hugely successful trip to Marfa. It is such a cool little town and we met so many great new people. Not to mention that we discovered BananaGrams, my favorite new game. I woke up thinking about it… obsessed? Maybe. We ate a few fantastic restaurants on the way to/from Marfa and in the town itself.
- The pancakes at Rather Sweet in Fredericksburg were the best I have ever had. I am stating that in all seriousness and with apology to my mother, who now makes the second best pancakes in the world. I also met the first Danish I liked. Serious yum
- We loved Cochineal in Marfa. Exihibit 1? We ate there 3 times in 3 days, twice for breakfast and once for dinner. The huevos rancheros were exceptional.
- We loved the Food Shark. It’s a little trailer in “downtown” Marfa with great daily specials and exceptional Marfalafel. Get the plate, not the wrap. The falafel is better than the tortilla that it is served in.
Anyway, here’s what I ended up bringing to the party:
- Caramelized onion dip with kettle chips (A+)
- Caponata (B-)
- Molasses ginger cookies (A, but only because I made them a teeeeeny bit too salty)
- Coffee bar (A+)
- Salty Redneck Toffee (A+)
I’m going to try to salvage my caponata tomorrow by turning it into a pasta sauce with ricotta. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I still need to start actually adding the recipes. Haven’t figured out the best way to yet. Will do, will do.