This recipe, courtesy of one of my culinary sisters, is one of the weirdest recipes I make. I KNOW it looks odd, but trust me it’s an easy, delicious, healthy pantry dish. It’s also one of my favorite go-to recipes when I need a veggie side and don’t have anything in the veggie drawer or in the garden.
2 cans french-style green beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans Hearts of artichoke (in water), cut in quarters
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1/4 C water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 C. bread crumbs
1 cup parmesan (3/4 for recipe and 1/4 for sprinkling on top)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon Tony C’s cajun seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
- Saute onions in oil. When soft, add garlic, Tony’s and thyme. Cook for one minute, until fragrant.
- Add green beans to onion and mash it up finely with a fork
- Add bread crumbs, 3/4 C cheese and artichoke. Once mixed, stir in water, lemon juice and zest.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour into pyrex or similar casserole dish (I use an old oval one)
- Cover with foil and cook 1/2 hour @ 350
- Remove from oven, uncover, sprinkle with cheese and cook until top is browned, about 10 min