This dish gets a B+ for deliciousness, but an A+ for looks. It is such a beautiful pop of color on any plate. Also, it’s nutty flexible. I serve it with French meals, Italian, Asian, Middle Eastern. Change the herbs, seasoning and vinegar and, presto, new dish. I’m doing my basic French recipe below, but will suggest some variations at the end.
4 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (use a box grater) or peeled in long strips
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/8 t finely grated fresh lemon zest
3 T finely chopped parsley
1 t Dijon mustard
1 toe garlic, pressed (optional)
1 t EVOO
- Toss carrots with 1/2 teaspoon table salt and set in colander to drain for 30 minutes.
- Whisk together all ingredients except carrots and parsley
- Toss dressing with carrots and parsley, adjust seasoning with salt & pepper, and eat up!
- French = lemon+parsley+EVOO
- Middle Eastern = lemon +parsley + EVOO + 2 teaspoons cumin + 1/4 t cayenne (you can also sub tahini for the mustard)
- Asian = rice wine vinegar + cilantro + 1 t grated ginger
- Italian = balsamic + basil + EVOO