These little treats are shockingly tasty, easy and elegant. Not your grandmother’s grilled cheese! This will serve 4 as a big side or 8 as a smaller treat
- 1 lb Good Mozzarella (you really need the good, fresh stuff here), sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 8 Slices good white bread
- 1/2 Cup heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2 (sorry, but milk just won’t cut it)
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/2 Teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 Teaspoon grated nutmeg (if you can grate fresh, increase amount a smidge)
- 1/4 Cup EVOO
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Place the sliced mozzarella on the bread, forming 4 sandwiches. No need to go all the way to the edges. Remove crusts and cut each sandwich in half, forming 8 roughly square mozz sammies
- In a pie pan or wide, shallow bowl, whisk eggs. Mix in cream (or 1/2 & 1/2), thyme, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon salt until well blended.
- In a nonstick saute pan, heat half of the EVOO over medium-high heat until very hot, but not quite smoking. Add butter. While butter is melting, place half of the sandwiches in the egg mixture, turning once to coat. Put in pan and cook on each side until golden brown, approx 2 min per side.
- Transfer sandwiches to plate and repeat with remaining oil, butter and sandwiches
You can cook the sandwiches whole and cut them in half later. It might be a smidge easier, but some of that ooey, gooey mozz will definitely ooze out. I think that is a shameful waste.
NOTE: You’re almost frying the suckers, rather than “grilling” them. You want the fat good and hot before you add the sandwiches, so they don’t get soggy. If you aren’t sure if you’re oil is hot enough, set aside a little bread and dip it in the oil when you think you’re ready. It should start sizzling immediately.